- The students _________ not reach on time _________ of the transport strike.
(a) can, as (b) could, because
(c) may, account (d) will, despite
(e) should, for
- They were _________ to vacate that house as _________ as possible.
(a) asked, soon (b) ordered, easy
(c) shown, early (d) told, later
(e) found, fast
- The teacher _________ the concept by _________ practical examples.
(a) showed, telling (b) gave, speaking
(c) liked, citing (d) found, looking
(e) explained – quoting
- The manager told us _________ Ramesh was very anxious _________ the meeting.
(a) about, in (b) that, before
(c) like, during (d) the, for
(e) said, after
- She did not tell _________ that she _________ attended the party.
(a) someone, have (b) no one, has
(c) him, not (d) her, can
(e) anyone, had
- Rajeev was upset because he _____________ forgotten his best friend’s birthday?
(a) have (b) shall
(c) will (d) might
- Raj was _____________ introvert and would prefer to sit in the library rather than go out with friends.
(a) the (b) a
(c) like (d) for
- Shanku was born_____ a silver spoon in his mouth and was very proud of his wealth.
(a) with (b) along
(c) on (d) within
- Laxmi lost an important file and rather than confessing her___ she blamed Sandra for losing it.
(a) respect (b) image
(c) attitude (d) default
- Jacob was a rich old man who lived_____ alone in a huge house because his children did not care about him.
(a) only (b) all
(c) more (d) too
- By the middle of the 19th Century, the urban population of England _________ the rural population.
(a) have exceed (b) exceeded
(c) was to exceeds (d) exceeds
(e) will exceed
- The house that the actress lives in is beautiful, but the surroundings are ________ unpleasant.
(a) quite (b) more and more
(c) a little quite (d) very little
(e) quite few
- My friend and I decided to watch a play, however ______ enjoyed it.
(a) hardly of us (b) some few of us
(c) we scarcely only (d) neither of us
(e) no one of us
- It is difficult to speak a language fluently unless ______ regularly.
(a) it is in practice
(b) it is by practising
(c) it will be practised
(d) it is practised
(e) it had been practised.
- By the time he was eighteen years old, Peter _______ to make a living and support his family.
(a) begins (b) began
(c) started beginning (d) would begin
(e) has just begun
- He will dispense ______ your services.
(a) of (b) off
(c) on (d) with
- I have given her ______ .
(a) a work (b) some works
(c) a piece of work (d) many works
- He is a popular teacher. He seems to be ______ for that profession.
(a) cut down (b) cut off
(c) cut in (d) cut out
- He was ______ pertaining his innocence.
(a) stridently (b) harshly
(c) confidently (d) quickly
- If you were found guilty of exceeding the speed limit, you ______ to pay a fine.
(a) would have (b) would had
(c) will have (d) have